Get Neuroma Pain Relief with Kenkoh Sandals
Definition of Neuroma
A neuroma is a thickening of nerve tissues and may occur in almost any part of the body. This thickening, or enlargement, is caused by compression and irritation of the nerve, resulting in pain and possible nerve damage.
Morton’s Neuroma is the most common foot neuroma and develops between the third and fourth toes. In this area of the foot, part of the lateral plantar nerve combines with part of the medial plantar nerve, creating a larger diameter.
As a result, even a small amount of squeezing or irritation of the nerve can lead to the development of a neuroma. Pointy-toed shoes or high-heeled shoes are typically the cause of irritation, as this nerve lies so closely to the skin.
People with bunions, hammer toes, or flat feet are more likely to develop a neuroma, as their feet are out of alignment already and are more susceptible to addition injuries.
Once The Pain Starts, What Should I Expect?
- At first you may only feel the discomfort when wearing certain pointy-toed shoes or doing an activity that aggravates the affected area.
- The symptoms – which include burning, tingling, or feeling as if their is something in the ball of your foot, might go away when you remove the shoe or massage the foot.
- Over time, the symptoms worsen and may continue for several days or weeks.
- The symptoms will become more intense as the neuroma enlarges and the temporary changes in the nerve result in irreversible damage.
What Can I Do To Lessen Or Eliminate The Pain?
- The first thing to do is to stop wearing the pointy-toed and high-heeled shoes.
- Reduce or stop any activities that places repetitive pressure on the nerve.
- Begin wearing supportive footwear with a wide toe box such as Kenkoh, Birkenstock or Finn Comfort, or use high-quality shoe inserts such as the Birkenstock or Aetrex Lynco insoles.
- Place an ice pack on the affected area to help reduce swelling.
While Kenkohs are best known for their ability to treat plantar fasciitis and metatarsalgia, the sandal’s unique design allows toes to spread freely, offers a well supported arch, and provides massaging stimulation that helps increase blood flow to the area, thus allowing the damage to heal faster. Many of our customers have reported on their personal experiences with the Kenkoh and their path to healing:
Visit one of our 11 store locations in the Tampa Bay and Fort Lauderdale area, or check out or whole collection online at HappyFeet.com.