Gold Certification for Happy Feet Plus, Clearwater
Update 2009 - Since 2003 Happy Feet Plus has offset 14,805 kilos of Carbon Dioxide (CO2), the main element that's creating Global Warming. That represents 14,805 X 2.2 lbs / kilo = 32,571 lbs or 16.3 tons of CO2 that HFP has kept out of the atmosphere.
Over the past 6 years HFP has generated 26,952 kilowatts of power which is almost an entire years worth of power consumption for the Clearwater property.
Our investment in "living green" is highlighted by our Gold LEED-certified green building in Clearwater, Florida. The 6,000 square foot retail facility was designed and constructed according to standards established by the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program. The facility was the first retail structure nationwide to achieve LEED "Gold" certification.
Built using sustainable and recycled materials, the building features:
- Formed, insulated concrete walls, providing R-54 insulation (R-19 is normal)
- Glass block and double-paned windows for insulated, natural light
- Roof gutters collect rain water for a 5,000 gallon cistern (irrigation/toilet flushing)
- Energy Star rated metal roof with Tectum decking, providing R-30 insulation
- Freon-free air conditioning; ceiling fans for better air circulation
- Drought-resistant native plants
- Solar panels
- Energy-efficient full-spectrum lighting
- Crushed shell and pervious concrete parking lot
- No-VOC paints and stains
- Porcelain flooring with no-VOC grout