Thick yet supple leathers without additional dyes are breathable, durable and comfortable.
Oiled leather has a heavily oiled finish; durable & moisture-resistant.
Waxy leather has a finish applied to a buffed natural leather. Ages to a naturally distressed appearance.
Embossed leather has been stamped using heat and high pressure to create a unique pattern or design.
Birkenstock Footbed Types
Our original contoured footbed fits feet with an average arch and a neutral gait.
A soft Birkenstock? Longtime fans may not believe it, but for folks that are new to our shoes, those with low arches, over-pronaters, or those who just want a bit more cushion, we offer our soft-footbed. It’s our time-tested cork construction with an extra layer of soft foam, filled with millions of tiny air bubbles.
Shop Now for all Birkenstock Soft Footbed Footwear.
Flexible, lightweight, durable and shock absorbing.
Some Birkenstock footwear is designed specifically for culinary and healthcare purposes utilizing the Super-Grip Sole. The Super-Grip Sole consists of a cushioning midsole made of EVA and a slip-resistant rubber tread sole. Super-Grip Soles meet slip-resistant standard ANSI Z41 PT99. (Use the left-hand "Narrow By" filtering to view all Birkenstock Super-Grip footwear.)
Inside the Perfect Shoe
- More Toe Room - Allows toes to move naturally which promotes better balance and overall toe health.
- Raised Toe Bar - Encourages the natural gripping motion of your feet while exercising your legs and improving circulation.
- Contoured Footbed - Mirrors and nurtures the shape and contours of a healthy foot. The four arches ensure even weight distribution.
- Deep Heel Cup - A neutral heel profile and deep heel cup keeps natural padding where it belongs and promotes natural spine alignment.
- Shock Absorbing Sole - Flexible, durable, lightweight, shock resistant and replaceable.
- Jute Fibers - Two layers. One wicks away moisture, the other adds strength and makes resoling easy.
- Cork Footbed - Firm, resilient cork/latex base gives your feet the support they need.
- Footbed Liner - Soft suede, keeps your feet comfortable and dry.
Birkenstock Comfort & Health
Firm Support For Your Feet
It would make sense to think that a softer and more “cushiony” shoe would be more comfortable. But in fact, the Birkenstock concept of comfort is based on orthopedically correct support. As with a quality mattress, feet require solid support and correct positioning providing maximum comfort and health. Our footbed features proper arch support, a deep heel cup, and adequate room in the toe area – all to help distribute weight evenly for the entire foot. The result is improved posture and balance for greater comfort when walking.
Our Contoured Footbed Encourages Foot Health
The Birkenstock footbed is made of resilient cork/latex and is shaped to create a healthy walking environment for your feet. Additionally, the cork/latex blend is pliable and reacts to natural body warmth. Therefore, over time, the footbed yields to the characteristics of an individual foot. Many long-term Birkenstock wearers ?nd that the longer you wear them, the more comfortable they become. The shape of a Birkenstock follows the contours of a healthy foot.
Birkenstock Fitting Information
When you first receive your Birkenstock footwear
- Remove the shoes from the box and gently flex them with your hands or on the floor. Birkenstocks often feel a bit stiff at first and this will help soften them and make them feel comfy sooner.
- Unbuckle ALL of the straps and place your feet in the shoes. Make sure your heels are ALL the way back in the heel cup of the shoes. The contours of the footbed should correspond to your own arch and the toe bar should fit comfortably beneath your toes, where your toes meet your foot.
- Before you stand up, look to see if there is adequate space for your feet (approx. ¼” for toes and heels, and 1/8” on the sides of your feet). You’ll want a little extra room because your feet will expand when you stand and walk.
- Buckle the straps starting at your toes and working up. The straps should be a bit snug but not tight. The support will come from the footbed, not from tightly buckled straps. It’s just right if you can wiggle one finger between the strap and your foot.
- Now take a walk around the house and see how they feel. They might feel a bit stiff. That’s normal. As soon as you start wearing them a bit they will start to soften and shape to your foot.
- Once you feel comfortable with them around the house then go ahead and start wearing them outside. Make sure to get used to them slowly though. Allow your feet and your body to gradually get used to the new support, the straps and the buckles. We recommend a few hours for the first 5 or 6 wearings. After that you may never want to take them off.
Birkenstock The Anatomy of Comfort
- Flexion - When you walk, your foot flexes to support your body. The Birkenstock sole and cork footbed flex with your feet for comfort with every step.
- Neutral Heel - Elevated heels cause the body to move out of alignment. With our neutral heel, the body is properly aligned using the weight-bearing bones and muscles. Our deep heel cup positions the natural padding of the foot under your heel bone to absorb shock and support your weight.
- Roomy Toebox - Our footbed allows room for toes to move naturally. For correct foot alignment, the inside edge follows a straight line from the big toe to the heel.
- Contoured Footbed - The natural shape of our footbed allows room for comfort and guides your foot into a healthy walking position.